In order to help you keep your expenses under control, the law created an SMS alert mechanism if you exceed your mobile subscription limit.
This system implemented by the operators increases awareness of the cost of mobile electronic communications services in Belgium (another regulation applies to roaming).
- It concerns post-paid mobile telephony and mobile Internet;
- It triggers an alert if you exceed the fixed amount of your subscription fee;
- And a second alert if you exceed a threshold beyond the subscription fee that you define with your operator.
By default, this threshold is set at €50 (VAT included) above the monthly fee. However, it is possible to set other values. Some operators may add additional flat rate charges and allow customers to cancel the alerts or to choose other thresholds.
Here are the possibilities offered pursuant to the BIPT decision mentioned below:
- You ask to be warned as soon as you reach the subscription fee: subscription fee + €0; OR
- You ask to be warned when you exceed the subscription fee by €50: subscription fee + €50; OR
- You ask to be warned when you exceed the subscription fee by €75: subscription fee + €75; OR
- You ask to be warned when you exceed the subscription fee by €100: subscription fee + €100.
For instance, your subscription includes a monthly fee of €20. You exceed it and receive a first alert. If you reach €70, without having made any choice, a second alert will be sent.
Operators are free to combine or separate the messages of the alert mechanism in relation to the messages concerning premium rate numbers and roaming.
Please see the Act and the Royal Decree implementing it.